Friday 15 February 2013

Week Two - Missed Session

This week is a session that I missed due to being in Berlin at the Berlinale Film Festival. Once I got back from the trip I asked Lewis if I could borrow the notes that he made during the session so I could catch up on what I had missed.


From the notes that I have been given, I found that that during the session, many different things were spoken about.

We were told to look at a book called ‘Scorsese on Scorsese’. I will go to the library and see if I can find this book and read it to gain more information about how Scorsese’s films are edited and any further knowledge I will be able to acquire from it.

We were talked through the book In The Blink Of An Eye. The book is divided up into several sections. These are:
  1. Emotion 51
  2. Story 25%
  3. Rhythm 10%
  4. Eye trace 7%
  5. 2 Dimensional Space 5%
  6. 3 Dimensional Space of action 4%
We were also told that by the next session we would need a rough cut of our film Night Journey to show and get feedback on.

After that, we were taken through the opening to the film Goodfellas and spoke through it:
  • Red titles indicating blood
  • The soundtrack helps to drive the story
  • Voice-over, feeling of nostalgia, creating an emotional connection with the character
  • The pauses are just as important at the voice-over
  • The pacing and the voice-over is vital
  • Strong script, interesting and very fast paced
  • The voice-over sets up the storyline of the film

·      Visuals:
  • The use of the colour red – mise-en-scene
  • The Boss is the only one to get a close up. This is due to his status/presence. The Boss doesn’t have to say a word during the scene or express any emotion because the close ups show his dominance
  • A lot of camera movement – seduces the audience and keep in-time with the pace

After looking at Goodfellas, another film was looked at called The Third Man (1948). They also spoke about the opening to this film too:
  • The voice-over is fast paced
  • It is slightly comical
  • The sound has key chords that launch the audience into the next section of the film
  • Another film that was suggested for us to look at was The Art of Immersion. 

Although I missed this session, I think I have caught up on the work that I missed by collecting the notes that Lewis took and kindly let me use to catch up on the work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment