Wednesday 24 April 2013

Out O' Date - Assembly and Rough Cut (24/04/13)

Today, I started my assembly for the individual project, Out O' Date. I started by opening up the script that I had previously looked at to refresh my mine before I started cutting of the order of the scene. The pages of the script I used I have include in the images below.


After reading through the script, I started cutting the piece together. I started with the assembly of the film, just placing the clips in order of how I want them to be. The first clip I placed in was a shot establishing the location and showing what the two men, Alf and Tony, were doing. This was a shot on a crane tilting down to reveal Tony sticking the banner to the front door of the supermarket and Alf looking around to make sure that they weren't going to get caught. Following that, I had a mid shot of Tony sticking the last bit of tape onto the door and walking backwards away from the poster, looking at it along the way.


After that, I wanted to have a shot looking face on at Alf and Tony as they looked at the banner on the door. In this shot, they also have a conversation about the banner being spelt wrong. I wanted to intercut this conversation with close ups of each of the men as they had their conversation, but I would do this in the rough cut. There were several takes of this shot so I looked through all of them for the best performance but selecting one to include in the film.


At the end of the previous shot, the manager of the supermarket pulls up in her car in the background in the centre of the two men. I cut to a close up of Alf with the manager in the background and as she closes the car door, he turns and walks towards her. I then cut to a shot with the car in the foreground showing the manager walking towards Alf and stopping as they got to each other to begin their conversation. 


I then added a shot looking over Alf's shoulder at the manager during their dialogue scene, cutting to a shot of Tony from over the manager's shoulder whilst he spoke and then back to the previous shot over Alf's shoulder. 

After a piece of dialogue from the manager saying that the banner was rubbish, Tony shouts over saying that it wasn't rubbish. I wanted to use a mid shot of him looking over at the manager rather than just hearing his voice in the background to show his emotions showing that he likes the sign as he was the one that made it. 


After that, I cut back to the shot over Alf's shoulder looking at the manager and then back to the shot of Alf over the manager's shoulder before cutting back to the previous shot where we see the manager knee Alf. I that quickly cut to a shot showing the manager walk towards the supermarket's doors after kneeing Alf and showing Tony look shocked. 


I then cut to a mid shot of the manager ripping the sign off the door and throwing it into Tony's arms before she left and went around the corner of the building. Finally, I cut to a close up of Alf on the floor after he had been kneed and Tony comes running up to Alf in the background and picks him up and walks him off screen, signalling the end of the scene. 


I then watched the scene back and trimmed some of the clips to make sure that the audio worked well and that no pieces of dialogue were overlaying each other and that the images worked well together. I then duplicated the sequence and called it Rough Cut 1, as I was ready to start rough cutting the piece. 

When I started rough cutting the piece, I started by making the introduction scene flow better, by making sure that the cut between the two shots worked correctly with the continuity of Tony putting the banner on the door.

I then started the main part of the rough cut, which was adding the close ups of the conversation between Tony and Alf at the beginning. For every piece of dialogue, I looked through the clips that I had been supplied with of each close to to select the best performance. For the first pieces of dialogue, I used the close ups of the men before going back to the two shot of them. 


I then went back to a shot of Tony as he took the tights off his head before going back to the two shot of the men showing the manager pull up in her car in the background. For the rest of the rough cut, I went through the clips, overlaying some of the sound to make sure that it sounded good and I also placed crossfades between all of the sound to make sure that there were no drastic changes in sound and to make sure there were no clips and pops at the beginning and end of each clip. I also added crossfades to the beginning and end of the piece, to bring the clips in gradually. I made sure that the fade at the end of the scene was a long one because the two men go out of frame leaving an empty scene and I thought that it looked a lot nicer having a long fade out. 


I watched the scene back after I had sorted the audio out and cut all of the clips into place, in some cases overlaying the clips to make sure I got the best performances of the actors as I could and then added the title page to the beginning of the film. I then exported the rough cut ready to show Chris tomorrow to get his feedback on what he thinks works well and what needs to be changed. Overall, I am happy with the piece as I think it flows well and I think that the pacing of the scene is done well. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment