Thursday 9 May 2013

Iron Man - Swipe Transitions


Last night, I saw Iron Man 3 at the cinema. One thing that I noticed about the editing in the piece is one of the transitions that is used various times in the film, and also in the previous two films. The transition that I am referring to is a swipe transition. Unfortunately, I am unable to obtained any screenshots of the transition.

At one point in the film, the transition is used when Tony Stark gets into his car and as the car drives off to the left of the screen, the transition is applied, swiping the shots off the left hand side of the screen, revealing the next shot underneath.

I don't like this transition because in my eyes it doesn't look very professional, as it was a transition that I used a lot many years ago when I was younger creating videos on Windows Movie Maker. I recently tried a similar effect whilst editing my documentary film, The Movement, this semester, having the title swipe off the screen. In the end, I decided not to use this transition because it didn't look professional in my eyes.

I think rather thank using the swipe transition, I would have had a straight cut from one shot to the other, cutting just before the car on the first shot left the screen and just after the car on the second shot had entered the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment