Thursday 2 May 2013

Out O' Date - Final Cut (02/05/13)

Using the feedback that I had received earlier today during the screening of my film, I started the final cut of my comedy film. I started by duplicating the fine cut sequence that I had previously created, to make sure that if I needed to, I could always go back and look at the original fine cut.

I started by cutting out the sound when the lady at the door says 'Oh bloody hell, I'll go get frozen peas' because in the previous shot, I could slightly hear the lady starting her line before I needed her to on the scene. I cut this first bit of dialogue out and then went back into the shot to find a piece of sound that I could use as an atmos track because getting it from the same shot would make it a very similar sound to the original sound. I then added a crossfade between the two sounds to make sure that there were no clips and pops and also to make sure that the change in the sound isn't noticeable. I finally added a 2 frame crossfade to the end of the audio to again make sure that there were no clicks and pops in the audio.


After that, I got on with another bit of feedback that I received that was to sort out the footsteps when the manager is walking. These sounds weren't very continuous, missing beats between some of the footsteps when I changed the shots. To overcome this problem, I tried to sync the footsteps up with the visuals and trim the visuals so that the footsteps work correctly. I also added another atmos track underneath the footsteps to try and make them blend it better. 


I then went to the second footstep sequence in the scene when the manager has kneed Alf and is walking over to the door to rip it off the door. I noticed that the last time I tried to edit the sound in this section, I had repeated the footsteps too many times. I took this out and just repeated it once to make it a lot smoother. I also noticed that the background sound changed quite dramatically so I went through the sounds I had and found an atmos track that was recorded at the amphitheatre above the train station at night, so it was quite and the cars could be heard in the background. I added this to the film and it worked very well.


I then started editing the last part of the film using the feedback that I received about the reaction shot after the lady had shouted at Tony and Alf. I made the gap between Alf's line and the lady's second line a bit shorter because after watching it back again, I realised that the gap between the two pieces of dialogue is too long. I shortened this down and after that I wanted to catch Alf's reaction as he was being carried up the driveway so I lengthened that shot slightly too. 


After that, I watched the film back and decided that I wanted to add a sound effect to the shot where Alf gets kneed by the manager. I looked through a free sound archive and after a long while of searching, I found a thud sound that worked very well. Once I had added this sound effect, I wanted to see if there were any other sound effects I could add to the film. One more sound effect than I added as the sound of a handbrake when the milk float stops outside the house.


Finally, I looked at the two shot of Tony and Alf looking at the banner as the car pulls up in the background and I still feel like this shot needs something else adding to it. After a lot of thought, I decided to add the sound of a lorry reversing with the beeping sound to bulk out the sound design on this part of the film to make it more interesting. 

After adding the sound effects, I watched the film through a couple more times and decided that I was happy with it and exported it again before putting it onto a DVD ready to hand in.


Overall, I am very happy with how my final cut of my comedy edit has turned out, and I think that the small sound effects that I have added make the piece work better, especially the thud when Alf is kneed. I also think that by reducing the gap between Alf and the lady at the front door makes the piece flow a lot smoother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment