Tuesday 19 March 2013

Night Journey - Fine Cut (19/03/13)

Today, I got on with the fine cut of the Night Journey project. I started by looking at the feedback that Lewis and myself received in the review session we had a few weeks ago and then started using this feedback to improve the video.

One piece of feedback that we received was that the opening sequence where we first see the victim had too many shots in it and also the point of view shot as he was walking through the crowd didn't fit very well and wasn't needed. I started by removing this point of view shot and then tried to cut down on the amount of clips that were in the sequence. I also removed a static shot looking over the train station to make the sequence work better with less shots. Finally, I took out the shot of the man boarding the train, which is shot through the interior window of the train. I removed this because I didn't really like the shot as it was shot through glass and also I didn't think it was necessary because the audience would know that the man had boarded the train just by him standing on the platform and then seeing the train leave the station. After removing this shot, I lengthened two of the shots showing the train travelling and moved the sound around to make it fit with the shots.



I then wanted to add some effects to the dream sequence to make it look more like a dream. To do this, I wanted to blur the edges of the frame on the shots of Amsterdam. I did this by having a duplicate of the clip on the layer above it, adding a mask shape and mask feather effect to the video on the top and the video underneath I added the gaussian blur effect. This would mean that the shape that I mask on the top image would be all that it shown of that image, and then the rest would be the video below, with the blurred effect, makes the edges of the frame blurred. The settings that I used for the effects I have included below in the screenshots. 



After that, I looked back at the feedback we received and we were also told that the dream sequence was a little too sudden, so to improve this, I wanted to show the victim going into the dream a bit better and try to make the transition between reality and the dream smoother. To do this, after the victim said 'Tonight' for the third time, I added the gaussian blur effect and over 4 seconds made the radius of the effect start at 0 and end at 8, bringing the effect in gradually. I then added a long crossfade to black to show the victim nodding off. Finally, I lengthened the transitions of the sounds to make the transition smoother and less sudden.


Finally, the last bit of feedback that I received was to change the point of view shot at the end of the film when the three people are looking into the cabin, because the shot that I had previously used was too high to be a point of view shot. I looked through all of the footage and out of all of the shots, there was only one more shot that would work well as a point of view from the three people looking into the cabin. I inserted this clip over the top of the original shot and then reviewed the entire film.


After looking through the film and making sure everything was finished, I saved the project and will show it to Lewis tomorrow to see if he is happy with it and anything that he would like changing and then I will export the final film ready to hand in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment