Wednesday 20 March 2013

Rock Climbing Documentary - Fine Cut (20/03/13)

Today, I met with Lewis at 10am to get on with the fine cut of our rock climbing documentary film. Before starting on the rock climbing documentary, I showed him the fine cut that I had done of our other film, Night Journey. He was very happy with how it had turned out and I spoke through everything that I had changed with him and asked if there was anything else that he would like changing and he said that he was very happy with it how it is.

We then got on with the fine cut of the documentary. I started by looking at what Lewis had done to the rough cut the previous day. He had added in some interview sound over the top of the atmosphere tracks that were in the piece. Lewis also added an extra scene to the end of the film, where the climber was doing some more bouldering rather than my original ending where we ended on the climber doing a short interview. I wasn't too sure about this alteration. He also added some music overlaying the atmosphere and interview tracks. He had cut the picture to the music and also added some jump cuts that I thought worked really well. However, shortly after looking at the rough cut, Lewis mentioned that the music was by a band his friend liked and that made me think about the music and in the end we had to cut it out of the film because it was copyrighted. Lewis didn't want to have to take it out because he had put a lot of effort in to making the cuts correct and adding the jump cuts but I said to him that we couldn't have any copyrighted material in the film so I took it out.


I then spent the next two hours looking through a free music archive for some music that would work well with the piece. I wanted something that was progressive and also had a nice relaxing tone to it. In the end, I found some music that fitted the piece very well. I showed Lewis the music and he thought that it was good and that we should add it into the timeline and see how well it worked. We thought that it worked very well with the bedroom scene but not very well with the rest of the footage because the interview didn't work along with the music. To overcome this, I moved the interview around a bit and had no interview of the bedroom scene, then I cut the music and added some interview during the first bouldering scene and then when we cut to the footage of the climber rock climbing, I added the music back into the piece and had no interview overlaid. I can cut the music again at the end of the rock climbing and added more interview into the film. Finally, I added a second track over the final scene of the film when the climber was boulders again that was slightly different to the original track and then slowly faded it out.

I then went back and looked at the footage with the songs in place again and realised that some of the jump cuts that Lewis had put into the film weren't needed anymore because they were in place for the other music tracks that we had to delete. I spoke to him about removing the jump cuts and looking at it without them and he said that we should do it and see how it looks. It looked a lot better without the jump cuts and we left them out.


After that, I went through the piece and listened carefully to the sound to see where it needed attention, for example on sound clips where there was a significant change in the volume of noise. I added fades to the beginning and ends of a lot of clips to make it more subtle when the clip started playing and also I changed the volume on some of the shots to make sure that the levels were all the same.

I went through the Final Cut Pro document and made sure that everything was tidy as it should be and it was. We used the V1 track for the main video footage and the V2 track for any text that we had. The A1 and A2 tracks were used for the atmosphere and sound that was attached to the footage, the A3 and A4 tracks were used for the interview sounds and the A5 and A6 tracks were used for the music. I also created a new sequence every time we started a new edit and also labelled it with the date that we started it. I also created a new sequence any time that we were making any significant changes to the piece just incase we wanted to revert to the original. Throughout the project we had the thumbnails turned off to save on the RAM on the Mac and also made sure that all of our footage was labelled correctly.


Finally, myself and Lewis reviewed the piece one last time and were both very happy with it and exported it ready to screen in tomorrows review session.

No comments:

Post a Comment