Thursday 7 March 2013

Rock Climbing Documentary - Setting Up the Project

When I was introduced to this project, I was given a rough cut that included a lot of footage but didn't have all of the footage attached, for example the footage from the original tapes. Also, the sound on this rough cut wasn't connected but this isn't a problem because part of the brief for this project is to create our own sound design.

I started off by importing all of the footage from the tapes into the project. I wanted to make sure that I had as much of the footage that I could get to be able to create the bets documentary I could.


After importing the footage, I went through the clips and started to rename them all using a simple filename format. First I would put a abbreviation of the shot type at the start of the name and then I would describe the shot afterwards. The abbreviations that I used were:
  • CU - Close Up
  • ECU - Extreme Close Up
  • MS - Mid Shot
  • LS - Long Shot
  • WS - Wide Shot
Using the abbreviations made it simple to see what each shot was without cutting off some of the description of the shot, which is what would have happened if I didn't use abbreviations. 


I also started to colour code some of the files as I was looking at them. Final Cut using the follwing meanings for each colour:
  • Orange - Good Take
  • Red - Best Take 
  • Cyan - Alternative Shots
  • Purple - Interviews
  • Green - B Roll
I used most of these colours, however, I decided that it would be easier to use red as bad takes and green as best takes, because in my eyes, red means bad and green means good, so using this format would make it a lot less confusing and easier to edit with. 




After doing 5 out of the 9 tapes, which took me about 3 hours, I decided that I would label the tapes that needed renaming with 'NEEDS RENAMING' and spoke to Lewis to let him know what I had done and he said that he would do the rest of the renaming since I had done more than half of it. 

Finally, before finishing for the day, I renamed the bins holding all of the footage slightly, by adding to the end of each tape name with what was on the tape. This would make it a lot easier to find the footage on each tape. 

Overall, I am happy that I got straight on with renaming the footage and I am looking forward to looking through the rough cut 




No comments:

Post a Comment