Monday 25 March 2013

Resident Evil Retribution - Fight Scene

I have recently been watching the Resident Evil films and one of the main editing techniques that stood out to me was the editing style during the fight scenes in the film.


In the video above, I can see that the cuts to begin with are several seconds apart, establishing the location well and opening up the scene ready for the fight scene to start. Once the fighting starts, I noticed that the cuts became very fast, i'm some places being more than two cuts per second and also the camera angles between shots were very different.




I also noticed that the shots used during the fight scene were very dynamic, very rarely having a locked off camera shot and making sure that the camera was moving the entire time. I think this is done to make the scene more active, fitting well with what is going on in the shot. 

The music in the scene fit well. The main part of the music that stood out to me was the part of the scene where Alice pokes her head out of the vehicle after it had crashed. At this point. the music goes almost silent as she puts the guns on the side of the vehicle and then when we see her face the music comes back loud and lets the viewer know that there is going to be some action as the music starts to build more and more and then becomes fast during the fight scene,



I think that the use of the quick cuts, the dynamic camera movement and the music work very well to make the fight scene engage with the audience and keep the audience on edge throughout to find out who is going to win the fight. The scene kept me entertained throughout and I throughly enjoyed it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment